When it comes to concealed carry options for women, there are a ton of options these days. When I first got my concealed license there was the standard IWB and OWB holsters but none of them really suited all my needs.
Now-a-days, there are a ton of options for women. I think it’s fantastic that there’s a big enough need for women specific concealed carry holsters that there’s now a need to narrow down which ones are best!
Let’s face it, women wear different clothing than men. We need options that can help make carrying everyday a pleasure instead of stressful. Many women will simply not carry because they cannot find a holster that works for their everyday lives. And that’s just not right.
Keep in mind that with any concealed carry option that you choose, make sure you’re training properly with it to ensure a safe, effective and smooth draw.
Here are my top 5 favorite concealed carry options for women:
- Belly band – I love the belly band. It’s great for working out or just out and about. It can be adjusted more around the hips or belly depending on what you’re wearing. I like wearing mine a little lower as I feel it conceals the gun a bit better. But it’s personal preference. There are many belly bands on the market but my favorite is the BravoBelt.
2. Pants – I love these pants by Alexo. They’re active wear pants but can be worn all day, everyday. I’ve worn these pants jogging and the firearm stays securely in place. These are truly one of my favorite pants. There’s also a new company that’s creating jeans for concealed carry which I think is an absolutely fantastic idea since I love wearing jeans. And Girls With Guns have new tactical pants that have a built in concealed carry option.
3. Corset – When I was looking into concealed carry options I kept coming across this corset option by Dene Adams. It seemed like it wouldn’t be effective at concealing but I decided to give it a try anyway. And let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised. It won’t conceal if you wear a super tight shirt, but for the most part, I’ve never had a problem concealing with this corset.
4. Purse – Carrying off body isn’t an ideal option and is shunned by many. However, sometimes concealing off person is necessary and definitely not the end of the world. When I was pregnant I had to conceal in my crossbody bag because I simply couldn’t carry on my person. And that’s okay. Practice, practice, practice your draw and you’ll be fine. There are so many great purse and bag options for concealed carry these days. A couple of my favorites are from Maxpedition and Gun Tote’n Mamas.
5. IWB – Inside the waistband holsters have advanced a lot and there are a ton of options these days. The ones that I find that conceal the best while keeping good retention are the ones with a flat leather back & kydex in front. The leather lays against your body and the kydex holds the holster in place. My favorite comes from Raw Dog Tactical.
As you can see, there are a lot of great options these days, not just for women, but for men as well. I know plenty of men that carry off person when the situation calls for it (such as at the gym).
Make sure to read reviews thoroughly and contact the manufacturer with any questions before buying. Your concealed carry options should fit your lifestyle and budget.
There are some options out there that can be downright unsafe, as well. Just because it exists doesn’t make it a good option. Really do your research.
Also make sure not to skimp on a good concealed carry option. These concealed carry holsters are meant to keep your firearm properly secured and safe until the event that you must deploy it.
And to really drive it home: practice practice practice!
Dry fire and practice drawing from your holster(s) as often as possible. If you can practice drawing at a range, that’s a great way to see how accurate your shots are once you draw. There are also some training options that you can get for your home that use lasers and other such things to show how accurate you are.
Good luck in finding a concealed carry holster that fits your needs!
Conquer tomorrow, by preparing today!